Marton Historical Village
Te rohe
Location
397 Wellington Road, Marton
Ngā haora mahi
Opening hours
Refer our Website shown above for detailed information
Te utu
Admission
$4. (Accompanied children & Marton Historical Society members free).
School groups: Primary $2 pp; Secondary $3 pp. Supervising teachers free.
A museum featuring curios dating back to the Victorian-Edwardian eras and up to the 1940s. It consists of three buildings; Captain Cook Pioneer Cottage (Marton is named after Cook's birthplace in Yorkshire) - now a restored 1869 homestead containing pioneer furniture, clothing, kitchenware, in a Victorian setting; a General Store - a former police cell block, with items of clothing, millinery, hardware. Snellgrove Barn - a restored 1863 furniture factory, showing blacksmith tools, schoolroom paraphernalia, wartime relics, antique bottles, Marton's first telephone exchange and transport & railway mementos.
Archives:
An important feature are the archives which cover the lifetime of South Rangitikei. More than 20,000 filed newspaper clippings from the 1850's onwards, documents, local newspaper files from 1907, photographs, maps, over 400 pioneer family files, plus histories of schools, churches, sports, for Marton, Bulls & Hunterville are held.
Ngā momo kohinga
Collection Strengths
Social history
Ngā wāhi
Facilities
-
Reference library
-
Guided tours
-
Membership club
-
Wheelchair access
-
Toilets
-
Parking
-
Other facilities
Assisted archive research & Photocopying available (charge).
WiFi
Whakapā mai
Contact
-
Email address
-
Website
-
Staff details
All staff are volunteers.
Kei te mahere
On the map
